Schwarzer : Holger Osieck is a perfect fit for us
Veteran keeper Mark Schwarzer has given new Qantas Socceroos boss Holger Osieck the tick of approval as the team prepares for the 2011 Asian Cup.
Veteran keeper Mark Schwarzer has given new Qantas Socceroos boss Holger Osieck the tick of approval as the team prepares for the 2011 Asian Cup.
Schwarzer and the remainder of the Qantas Socceroos only met Osieck on the morning of last week-s friendly against Slovenia in Ljubljana, with FFA chairman Frank Lowy also in attendance.
Osieck watched the match from the stands before having brief words with several of the players after the match.
Schwarzer was impressed by the 61-year-old and believes he is the right man to replace Pim Verbeek as the Qantas Socceroos prepare for their biggest transition in over a decade.
“I think the new manager (Holger Osieck) is a perfect fit for us at this stage,-- said Schwarzer who has played under the likes of Eddie Thomson, Frank Farina, Guus Hiddink, Graham Arnold and Pim Verbeek.
“I think he has all the qualifications and experience that we need and I-m very excited about the future of the game in Australia and he can certainly play a part.
“The game-s evolved tremendously in the last seven or eight years and it-s going to continue to evolve I believe.--
Schwarzer played the first half of last week-s match against Slovenia before making way for Reading-s Adam Federici at half time.
He said Osieck may not have been too impressed with what he was of the Qantas Socceroos in Ljubljana in the 2-0 loss.
Ten of the 23-man FIFA World Cup squad was absent, not including retirees Scott Chipperfield and Craig Moore.
“It wasn-t a great indication with the new manager being in the stands but there was new faces in the squad but that-s what happens,-- he said.
“Things move on, players step aside and new players have to step up to the mark and it was a good test for a lot of the guys.
“I guess only time will tell whether they will continue to progress but they will get their chance now.--
Schwarzer has been linked with English Premier League giants Arsenal but Fulham-s new manager Mark Hughes is reluctant to release the shot-stopper to his London rival.
The 37-year-old was not in Fulham-s squad that traveled to Bolton last weekend, ruled out through injury.
The transfer deadline closes on August 31 with Schwarzer one of several Qantas Socceroos looking to secure moves before then.