Freeman and Aloisi

Olympic 400m champion Cathy Freeman and former Socceroo John Aloisi joined a delegation of FIFA inspectors today as they examined the credentials of Australia’s Bid to win the right to host the FIFA World Cup™ in 2022.

SYDNEY Monday 26 July

Olympic 400m champion Cathy Freeman and former Socceroo John Aloisi joined a delegation of FIFA inspectors today as they examined the credentials of Australia-s Bid to win the right to host the FIFA World Cup™ in 2022.

Freeman relived the experience of winning Gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games for the delegates at the scene of the event, Stadium Australia.

As the inspectors examined the stadium this afternoon, Freeman told them that she rode a wave of support from the crowd to get through the final metres on the historic night ten years ago.

“We have such a strong sporting culture in Australia and the support I got that night was amazing. I could feel them willing me on and I just rode the wave,” Freeman said.

“We have a great record in holding major events and if we get a FIFA World Cup we would do a great job.”

Aloisi relived the night he kicked the final penalty against Uruguay to send the Socceroos to the FIFA World Cup™ for the first time in 32 years.

As he strode in to take the fifth penalty kick in 2005, Aloisi said he was “in the zone” and all he could hear was a “murmur” from the fans before he belted the ball into the back of the net.

“Football has come a long way in this country since then and I really think that night was a turning point,” Aloisi said.

“It would be fantastic to have a FIFA World Cup in Australia and we would do a great job if given the chance.”

The FIFA inspection team consists of six delegates and is led by Chilean Football Federation President Harold Mayne-Nicholls and includes CEO of 2010 South Africa Local Organising Committee Danny Jordaan, FIFA Head of Event Management Jurgen Muller, FIFA Marketing representative David Fowler, FIFA Competitions representative Julio Avellar and FIFA Media Officer Wolfgang Eichler.

Australia is the third stop on tour of the nine countries that are bidding to host the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup™ tournaments. They will be in Australia for three days.

The delegation witnessed a traditional Aboriginal smoking ceremony welcome at the Opera house in the company of FFA Chairman Frank Lowy, AC, and Federal Sports Minister Kate Ellis before hearing their first detailed briefing from the FFA Bid team.

On arrival, Mr Mayne-Nicholls said the delegation was pleased to be in Australia and was looking forward to seeing Australia-s Bid first hand.

“For us it is a real pleasure to be here in your beautiful country and we are sure that during this stay we will learn a lot about your people, your Bidding book and your ability to hold big events,” Mr Mayne-Nicholls said.

“We hope also that you will be in a position to ask us all the questions you need to resolve before we write the final report to the FIFA Executive Committee members.

“We will do our best to be as objective as possible and record all of the questions and answers the right way.

“Thanks for a beautiful welcome and for being with us in this beautiful city.”

At the end of the inspection tour, the delegation will submit a report to assist FIFA's 24 executive members select a host for the 2022 FIFA World Cup™, which will be announced by FIFA on 2 December 2010 in Zurich.

Australia's bid also has complete bipartisan support.

Ten host cities have been selected as part of the Bid under Australia-s nationwide hosting proposal that will see FIFA World Cup™ matches in six states and territories. Three new stadiums will be built in Perth, Canberra and Blacktown in Western Sydney and nine others upgraded should the Bid be successful, providing a $2.8 billion infrastructure legacy for all sporting codes and generations to come.

All Australians can do their part to help bring the FIFA World Cup™ to Australia - add your name at australiabid.com.au